We hope you will enjoy reading this upcoming blog Post
If you want us to handle your marketing. Click here to learn more.
April 2, 2023
Boost Your Google Shopping Ads With Merchant Promotion: The Ultimate Guide
Are you looking for ways to improve the performance of your Google Shopping ads? Consider using Google Merchant Promotions. These promotions can help your products stand out from competitors and attract more clicks and conversions. In this article, we'll explain what Google Merchant Promotions are, how to add them to your campaigns, their pros and cons, the approval process, and how to troubleshoot your promotions.
What is a Google Merchant Promotion?
Google Merchant Promotions are special offers that you can add to your Shopping ads. They are displayed as a blue "special offer" link below the product's price. When a user clicks on the link, they see the promotion details and a unique promo code if applicable. You can create different types of promotions, such as a percentage or dollar amount off, free gift with purchase, or buy one get one free. The promotions can be applied to all products or a specific set of products.
How to Add Google Shopping Merchant Promotions to Campaigns
To add a promotion, you need to have a Google Merchant Center account and a Shopping campaign. Here are the steps to follow:
- Create a promotion in your Google Merchant Center account. Go to the "Marketing" tab and select "Promotions." Click on the "Create a promotion" button and choose the type of promotion you want to create. Fill in the details, such as the promotion name, start and end date, redemption method, and terms and conditions. You can preview how the promotion will look like before submitting it for approval.
- Link your Google Ads account to your Merchant Center account. In your Google Ads account, go to "Tools & Settings" and select "Linked accounts." Click on the "Details" button next to "Google Merchant Center" and follow the instructions to link the two accounts.
- Add the promotion to your Shopping campaign. In your Google Ads account, go to your Shopping campaign and select the "Ads & extensions" tab. Click on the blue plus button and choose "Merchant promotion." Select the promotion you want to add and apply it to all products or a specific set of products. You can also customize the promotion text and display dates.
- Monitor and optimize your promotion performance. Keep an eye on your promotion metrics, such as clicks, conversions, and cost per conversion. Experiment with different promotion types and targeting options to see what works best for your audience.
Pros and Cons of Using Merchant Promotions
Like any marketing strategy, Google Merchant Promotions have their advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of them:
- Increase click-through rates: Google Merchant Promotions can make your products more attractive to users who are comparison shopping. The blue "special offer" link can catch their attention and entice them to click on your ad instead of a competitor's.
- Boost conversions: If your promotion is appealing enough, it can motivate users to complete a purchase. The promo code adds a sense of urgency and exclusivity, which can create a sense of FOMO (fear of missing out) and encourage users to act.
- Stand out from competitors: If your competitors don't have promotions, or their promotions are less compelling than yours, you can gain a competitive advantage. Users are more likely to choose the product that offers the best value for money.
- Trackable performance: Google Merchant Promotions are trackable, which means you can measure their impact on your business. You can see how many clicks and conversions your promotion generated and calculate your return on investment.
- Increased cost: Depending on the promotion type and redemption method, your cost per click and cost per conversion may increase. You need to factor in the promotion cost when calculating your profitability.
- Limited availability: Not all products or categories are eligible for promotions, and some promotion types have restrictions or requirements. For example, free gift with purchase promotions require a minimum order value, and buy one get one free promotions require a specific product combination. You need to make sure your products meet the promotion criteria before creating the promotion.
- Approval process: Google Merchant Promotions need to be reviewed and approved by Google before they can be applied to your ads. The approval process can take up to three business days, and Google may reject your promotion if it doesn't comply with their policies or guidelines. You need to ensure your promotion details are accurate and follow the rules.
Google Merchant Promotions Approval Process
To get your promotion approved, you need to follow Google's policies and guidelines. Here are some of the requirements:
- Promotion validity: Your promotion must have a start and end date, and it can't exceed 6 months. You need to make sure your promotion is active during the promotion period and doesn't overlap with other promotions.
- Redemption method: Your promotion must have a clear and easy-to-use redemption method, such as a promo code or automatic discount at checkout. You need to provide detailed instructions on how to redeem the promotion and ensure it's valid for all users.
- Terms and conditions: Your promotion must have clear and concise terms and conditions that explain the promotion details, restrictions, and exclusions. You need to avoid misleading or false information and ensure your terms and conditions comply with Google's policies.
- Prohibited content: Your promotion must not include prohibited content, such as adult products, illegal products, or copyrighted content. You need to ensure your promotion complies with Google's advertising policies and guidelines.
Once you submit your promotion for review, Google will check if it meets the requirements and guidelines. If it's approved, you can add it to your Shopping campaign. If it's rejected, you'll receive a notification with the reason for the rejection. You can make the necessary changes and resubmit the promotion for review.
Troubleshooting Your Promotions
If you're experiencing issues with your promotions, here are some troubleshooting tips:
- Check your promotion status: Go to your Google Merchant Center account and check the promotion status. If it's still under review or disapproved, you need to fix the issues and resubmit it.
- Verify your promotion details: Make sure your promotion details, such as the promotion name, start and end date, redemption method, and terms and conditions, are accurate and comply with Google's policies.
- Check your targeting: Make sure your promotion is applied to the correct products or categories and that your targeting options, such as location and device, are appropriate for your audience.
- Monitor your performance: Keep track of your promotion metrics, such as clicks, conversions, and cost per conversion. If you're not getting the results you expected, you may need to adjust your promotion type or targeting.
How do I boost my Google Shopping ads?
You can boost your Google Shopping ads by using Google Merchant Promotions, optimizing your product data, targeting the right audience, and monitoring your performance metrics.
What is a Google Merchant promotion?
A Google Merchant Promotion is a special offer that you can add to your Shopping ads to make them more attractive to users. The promotion can be a percentage or dollar amount off, a free gift with purchase, or a buy one get one free, among other types.
How do I enable Shopping ads in Google Merchant Center?
To enable Shopping ads in Google Merchant Center, you need to create a product data feed, verify and claim your website, set up your account and shipping settings, and submit your products for review. Once your products are approved, you can create a Shopping campaign in Google Ads and link it to your Merchant Center account. You can then set up your ad groups, targeting, and bidding strategies to start displaying your Shopping ads to potential customers.
Google Merchant Promotions can help you improve the performance of your Google Shopping ads by making them more appealing and relevant to users. By creating compelling promotions and following Google's policies and guidelines, you can attract more clicks, conversions, and revenue for your business.
However, it's important to keep in mind that not all products or promotion types are eligible, and the approval process can be time-consuming and strict. You also need to monitor your promotion metrics and troubleshoot any issues that may arise to ensure the best results.
If you're looking to boost your Google Shopping ads with Merchant Promotions, it's recommended to work with a performance marketing agency that specializes in Google Ads and Shopping campaigns. Calibr Studios is one of the top performance marketing agencies in India, offering customized solutions for businesses of all sizes and industries.
If you're not sure how to choose the right performance marketing agency for your business, check out our guide on how to choose the right performance marketing agency for your business. We also have a comprehensive article on the pros and cons of in-house vs. outsourced performance marketing, which can help you decide which option is right for you.
With the right strategy and expertise, you can maximize the potential of your Google Shopping ads and drive more sales and revenue for your business.